WHOOSH! It’s Eggplant!
Last week Tuesday I asked my Michigan living parents how they felt about becoming landlords. This week Thursday my entire Tennessee household is stored in their garage and I am still reeling. So far, I’ve learned that things can change faster than the blink of an eye. To reflect that, here are two recipes that will take you about 30 minutes or less to prepare.
Simple Eggplant Curry in a hurry
Eggplant – 2 cups
Onion – Sliced thin and long – 1/2 cup
Tomato – Chopped fine- 1 cup
Cilantro – 2 table spoons – finely chopped
Coriander powder – 1 table spoon
Cumin powder – 1 tea spoon
Turmeric powder – 1 tea spoon
Garlic – finely chopped – 1 table spoon
Salt – 1 table spoon (add per taste)
Red chili powder – 1 table spoon (add per taste)
Olive oil – 1 table spoon
Water – 1 cup (add additional per desired consistency)
Method: To a pan on medium heat, add onions. Saute till translucent. Add Tomatoes and saute till soft. Add all other ingredients and close the lid. Cook until the eggplant is soft. This will take about 15 minutes. Serve it with some Chapati, Roti or Rice.
Quick Eggplant Parmesan
Recipe by Jessie:
PREP 5 mins /COOK 10 mins /READY IN 15 mins
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 3/4 inch thick slices
- 1 cup dried bread crumbs, seasoned
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a small bowl beat the egg and water together. Place the bread crumbs in shallow dish. Dip eggplant slices in egg mixture then in crumbs, being sure to coat thoroughly.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add eggplant slices and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until golden brown and tender. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over eggplant during last minute of cooking to melt.
- While eggplant is cooking, combine spaghetti sauce and pepper flakes in a microwave-safe measuring cup. Cover with plastic wrap and cook at high power for 2 minutes or until heated through.
- Top eggplant with sauce and Parmesan cheese and serve.
Quick, fast, to the point. Meals on a tight time frame because when you least expect it, life happens right now.